SECRET OF CHILD'S COMMUNICATIONAL SKILLS
Posted 2017-05-24 01:15:09 by Eliane Sanchez
The society around us is changing day by day and with this our children are also changing. Change in the sense that they are becoming more attentive. In order to accommodate ourselves with these changes there is a need to develop better communication skills with the people living around us and with our children.
Communication requires numerous skills, however one of the most important skills is listening. As parents we need to use our best listening skills to teach our children about how to become effective communicators.
Listening is the most vital component of communication. Listening skills are basically composed of two parts:
- Non Verbal Skills: This is a kind of mute conversation between the speaker and the listener. This skill can be developed in the following ways:
- Paying Full Attention To Our Child: Whatever he/she is trying to convey should be listened very carefully. Each and every sentence should be analyzed.
- Being aware of Non Verbal messages from our child: One should try to grasp out the feelings of our child. It is very necessary to understand the body language as well as feelings expressed by the child during his/her speech.
- Verbal Skills: This is basically a voice conversation between the child and the parents. This skill can be developed in the following ways.
- Paying attention to the words and feelings of the child: One should carefully listen to each and every word of the child and should try to understand the aim of his/her by using those words.
- Use of reflective tools: After carefully listening to our child we should try to summarize the speech and should question back to our child in order to develop a better mutual understanding between the speaker and the listener. Reflective tools can be:-
- Paraphrasing: A brief and succinct statement that reflects the content of our childs message.
- Reflecting Feelings: A brief statement that reflects complete feelings of the speaker.
- Questioning: After listening to child, one should cross question to clarify the doubts.
- Summarizing: Conclude the content with the child.
To improve the social dynamics in schools, at home and in the wider community, it is really important to give our children our full attention whenever they try to tell us something so they can see and feel that their thoughts are very valued and important to us. Through effective communication children learn how to act in socially responsible ways in all areas of life.